Re: Implement \hidden/\hide as a shorthands for \tweak/override #'\stenc

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Implement \hidden/\hide as a shorthands for \tweak/override #'\stencil = ##f (issue 6443087)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 06:34:03 +0000

On 2012/09/13 00:06:12, dak wrote:

I copy your "not happy" sentiment, but when thinking this through,
one really wants to have both override and tweak under a reasonably
idiomatic shortcut available.

After trying them out, the best names I can think of are:

 "hideOne" for the tweak; it should be a verb like "tweak" is a verb,
and the article reminds us to say "one what", unless it directly
follows.

 "hideAll" for the override, analogous to hideNotes, again with the
article reminding us to say "all what" and clarifying that it affects
all such grobs from this point forward.

(Maybe "one" and "all" are not considered to be articles in English ...
but they should be.)

 { g4 g-\hideOne\ff->\trill a \hideOne Stem a
   c \hideAll Stem c  d d  }

As you say, one can say \once\hideAll, and it has pretty much the same
effect as \hideOne, which is nicely unsurprising.

I suggest you put them in, announce as a tentative new feature in
changes.tely, and see if people find them useful.  My only concern is
that \override NoteHead #'stencil = ##f  now causes Lily to hang (I
noticed just now) and I hesitate to make that easier.
  \override

http://codereview.appspot.com/6443087/