Re: Implement \hidden/\hide as a shorthands for \tweak/override #'\stenc

From: dak
Subject: Re: Implement \hidden/\hide as a shorthands for \tweak/override #'\stencil = ##f (issue 6443087)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 07:25:08 +0000

On 2012/09/15 06:34:02, Keith wrote:
On 2012/09/13 00:06:12, dak wrote:

> I copy your "not happy" sentiment, but when thinking this through,
> one really wants to have both override and tweak under a reasonably
> idiomatic shortcut available.

After trying them out, the best names I can think of are:

  "hideOne" for the tweak; it should be a verb like "tweak" is a verb,
and the
article reminds us to say "one what", unless it directly follows.

  "hideAll" for the override, analogous to hideNotes, again with the
article
reminding us to say "all what" and clarifying that it affects all such
grobs
from this point forward.

(Maybe "one" and "all" are not considered to be articles in English
... but they
should be.)

  { g4 g-\hideOne\ff->\trill a \hideOne Stem a
    c \hideAll Stem c  d d  }

As you say, one can say \once\hideAll, and it has pretty much the same
effect as
\hideOne, which is nicely unsurprising.

I suggest you put them in, announce as a tentative new feature in
changes.tely,

Nice try, but I won't sneak last-minute changes past the discussion.
Since there are potentially more cases like this and it does not make
sense to do them inconsistently, we better take the time and leisure to
think this through to the degree we can and reach at least some sort of
semi-agreement.

"\tweak" and "\override" are reasonably mnemonic, since "\tweak" changes
an actual object, and "\override" overrides a decision.  I am not
exactly enthusiastic about camel-caps (and I would not want to suggest
using underlines or dashes instead since that would open a much larger
"consistency" can of worms).  Here is one possible way out: only provide
the override, ever.  That's what basically all our preprovided
property-setting commands do.  And if we provide only one basic variant
and that is the tweak, we have to remember that a tweak takes an
argument to tweak and you would have to \default that argument (we
actually use that technique for \footnote), something which is a bit
cumbersome to do explicitly every time.

We can already apply \once to more complex property-setting commands.
How about using a different prefix, like \one or \single, that will take
an override and a music argument and will convert that override into a
tweak on the music argument?

It won't work entirely seamlessly as there is no obvious way (to me) to
convert a \revert into a \tweak without actually performing the revert
and looking at its effects (and I don't think we can easily undo the
revert afterwards), so this will just be able to work on \override and
nothing else, but it would open most of the world of property changes to
usage as a tweak.

It would mean having to write more in the input, but it would save us
from inventing camelcase constructs and clever word pairs.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6443087/