Re: Patch upload and LSR

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Patch upload and LSR
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 06:15:56 +0000 (UTC)

Marc Hohl <marc <at> hohlart.de> writes:

> The testing process works fine on my local
> machine, but 'make doc' fails due to some
> syntax changes in the snippets. For example,
> defaultBarType = "empty" will not work once
> the patch is applied.
>

> and I wonder if these changes should be included
> *in* the barline patch or the procedure described in the link
> above should be done *after* it is applied instead.

When you are finished with the code changes, and maybe a rule in
convertrules.py, I would post the patch for review.  Maybe with
a snippet after you run convert-ly by hand, if that helps to explain
the patch.

You certainly want to run makelsr and update-with-convert-ly before
creating the final patch to push.  Then the public history goes from
one stage, where everything works, to another stage, where everything
works a little differently.  If you change the code in one commit
and the documentation/snippets later, there would be a point in the
history where some things don't work, which can be confusing.