Re: GOP2-5 - ly language discussions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP2-5 - ly language discussions
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 14:36:30 -0700

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:06:46PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I suggest that we have a separate mailing list to discuss wild
> > ideas. Initially these will probably be about modifications to the
> > ly language, but other candidates are mutopia, kickstarter,
> > crowd-typeset music, closer ties with online music editors, etc.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to have a separate list I am not supposed
> to be reading discussing Mutopia, Kickstarter, crowd-typesetting, closer
> ties with online music editors etc.

Then I suggest that you spend more effort trying to avoid making
disparaging comments.

> Instead I would propose a label [talk] in the subject of normal list
> postings.  [talk] subjects are not supposed to be subjected to the
> scrutiny desirable for decision-making.  People are not supposed to miss
> out on substantial matter or decisions by skipping [talk], so once we
> are talking serious material, remove the [talk] tag.

fine, I'll try one more experiment.  I think the experiments over
the past month have caused enough problems, but whatever, I can't
see things getting worse than they already are.

> > Any omissions or mistakes in a formal proposal may be subjected to
> > sarcastic and disparaging comments.
>
> No.  We may have problems getting to a reasonably common ground of
> communication and decency, but that does not mean that we should tell
> people it is fine to not even try.  The net result would be that the
> only people willing to work on LilyPond are rude and thick-hided.

David, the past month of emails from you have *already* been full
of disparaging comments.  I'm suggesting that it's ok for you to
continue acting in the same manner as long as it is restricted to
formal proposals.  Having a common ground of decency in
communication is something that I've given up on.  But hey, if
somebody wants to try moving lilypond-devel in that direction, I'm
not going to complain.