Re: GUB commands not running

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GUB commands not running
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:43:25 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:03 PM

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:55:51AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
but if someone who is familiar with GUB could make a guess as to why
they're not running, I'd appreciate it.

Either lilypond.make has changed (only one change in the past two
years:
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/commit/dd2f4077f5f818a6f689b0f4a795bacb92dcb8ae
which doesn't seem like it could cause this, but also check that
you haven't modified your own lilypond.make by accident), or
there's a make failure.  Try looking at the command-line output
(maybe build with "make lilypond ... &> console.log") and
log/gub.log to see when it tries to build the -unlocked, and what
messages it prints out.

Have another careful look at that change.  We have:

#FIXME: we cannot use python from tools, because of the gub/logging.py
#       name clash.  Todo: rename gub/logging.py -- triggers full
#       rebuild.  Not using tools means: we depend on /usr/bin/makeinfo
#SET_TOOLS_PATH=PATH=$(CWD)/target/tools/root/usr/bin:$(PATH)

and then the SET_TOOLS_PATH variable is used later in the make. But look - it's commented out in the change.

My guess is that this is the problem.  Do you agree?

Oh, it might also be useful to run with make -n, and/or -d ?

Ultimately, the "master control" is make, so any of the
tools+practices you learned while looking at the lilypond build
system could be applied here.  Either make isn't calling the right
targets, or those targets are failing immediately when called in
the overall job but not when you call them individually.  In any
case, finding the error message is the first step.

I've had a look through the makefiles and logs and couldn't find where the missing commands were supposed to be run, but I remain suspicious about the above.

--
Phil Holmes