Re: GUB commands not running

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB commands not running
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:32:31 -0700

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:43:25AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <address@hidden>
> >Either lilypond.make has changed (only one change in the past two
> >years:
> >https://github.com/gperciva/gub/commit/dd2f4077f5f818a6f689b0f4a795bacb92dcb8ae
> >which doesn't seem like it could cause this, but also check that
>
> Have another careful look at that change.  We have:
>

> #FIXME: we cannot use python from tools, because of the gub/logging.py
> #       name clash.  Todo: rename gub/logging.py -- triggers full
> #       rebuild.  Not using tools means: we depend on /usr/bin/makeinfo
> #SET_TOOLS_PATH=PATH=$(CWD)/target/tools/root/usr/bin:$(PATH)
>
> and then the SET_TOOLS_PATH variable is used later in the make.  But
> look - it's commented out in the change.
>
> My guess is that this is the problem.  Do you agree?

Hmm, that sounds distinctly plausible.  I suggest uncommenting it
out and see if that fixes it?

> I've had a look through the makefiles and logs and couldn't find
> where the missing commands were supposed to be run, but I remain
> suspicious about the above.

Well, let's take the case of "make -f lilypond.make test".  I've
extracted the relevant parts of lilypond.make below (but don't
feel bad; these parts are somewhat disguised by the surrounding
text)

test: dist-check test-output test-export

test-export:
        ... $(MAKE) cached-test-export

cached-test-export:
        ... $(MAKE) $(subst cached,unlocked,$@) ...
(in this case, it does unlocked-test-export)

unlocked-test-export:
        $(SET_TOOLS_PATH) \
                $(PYTHON) test-lily/rsync-test.py \
                --version-file=$(NATIVE_LILY_BUILD)/out/VERSION \

--output-distance=$(NATIVE_LILY_SRC)/$(BUILDSCRIPTS)/output-distance.py
\
                --test-dir=uploads/webtest

no, I don't claim to understand what all those steps are doing.
But it certainly looks like it'll have problems if
$(SET_TOOLS_PATH) is not set correctly.