Re: Feature request

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:49:33 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>

>>> This could probably be
>>>
>>>   \beaming {8[ 8] 8 8 8[ 8 8 8] }
>>
>> Uh no.  You need the rest, or you need to write something like
>> \beaming {4 8[ 8] 8[ 8 8 8]}
>
> Don't think so.  With this command, it would seem that the rule is
> "delete all previous autobeaming rules and only autobeam in the
> pattern set with manual beams here".  Then you need neither the rest
> or the crochet.

That would mean that autobeaming happens on beat 1 and on beat 3-4.  Not
really the original example I guess.

>> And where the overrides can be used, the meter might not be known yet,
>> so one needs to write something like
>> \beaming 4/4 { ... }
>> (somewhat redundant) and/or require that the argument consists of
>> whole bars separated by bar checks.
>
> Again, with the suggestion above, this is not needed.  This part of
> the rule is that the bracketed note lengths must form a complete bar
> in the current time signature.  If not, an error is thrown.

I already said that at the time of call the concept of "current time
signature" is not easily available.  Also, you might require several
bars to establish beaming patterns and exceptions for different note
durations.

So I stand by: