Re: Feature request

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:05:16 +0200

From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>

Again, with the suggestion above, this is not needed.  This part of
the rule is that the bracketed note lengths must form a complete bar
in the current time signature.  If not, an error is thrown.
Here, I go with David.  Just think of notation used sometimes by
Richard Strauss:

  5 4
  4 4

which means that the first bar of a two-bar phrase holds 5/4, and the
second one 4/4 (cf. the `aria' of Octavian in the first act of
`Rosenkavalier').  To handle this, we need two beaming instructions:

  \beaming 5/4 {...}
  \beaming 4/4 {...}

to redefine the beaming structure for the two bar types.  I think it
looks quite good in general to be able to define beaming structures
like this.

Not necessarily.  An alternative would be:

\beaming { 8 [ 8 8 8 ] 8 [ 8 8 8 8 8 ] }
\beaming { 8 [ 8 8 8 ] 8 [ 8 8 8 ] }

which would set the beam patterns for both the current time signatures.
"both the current time signatures"?  You not just refuse to accept that
at the call time of \beaming, we don't have a current time signature
available, but now we even have _two_ of them?
I like the

\beaming 4/4 {...}

variant; I often use several time signatures in a piece. Declaring them at one
instance would make perfect sense:

\beaming 4/4 {...}
\beaming 6/8 {...}
\beaming 3/8 {...}

music = {
  \time 4/4
  \time 3/8
  \time 4/4
  \time 6/8
}

Of course, one has the ability to change the beaming within the piece:

\music = {
  \time 4/4
  \beaming 4/4 { 8 [ 8 8 8 ] [ 8 8 8 8 ] }
  \beaming 4/4 { 8[ 8 ] 8 8 [ 8 8 8 8 ] }
}

My 2ct.

Marc

Presumably you mean with "current time signature" something determined
from the length of the expression (rendering absurd your suggestion to
flag an error when the expression is not a whole bar long), but that
still does not tell us what baseMoment to use.  The total length of a
3/4 and a 6/8 measure is the same.