Re: Feature request

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:28:42 +0200

On 09/24/2012 10:55 AM, address@hidden wrote:
   \beaming { c8[ c] c r c[ c c c] }

>Ouch.  Of course.
>
>>but yes, that would be great.
This could probably be

   \beaming {8[ 8] 8 8 8[ 8 8 8] }

So we have another result of GLISS.
Actually, I like David's original proposal better if the semantics of the construction is to both typeset the particular music and to use it as a template for a beaming rule. If we allowed a very long descriptive name (and ignore any recent discussion on what naming style to use for commands) the function name could be \use_as_template_for_beaming and en example use could be:

\relative c' {
\time 8/8
\use_as_template_for_beaming{ c[ d e] f [ g a] g[ g] } |
f e d e d c d d |
\use_as_template_for_beaming{ c16 [ e ] g [ e ] f4 g[ a] g16 [ e] d[ c] } |
\time 3/4
\use_as_template_for_beaming{ c8 [ e g c ] g [ e] } |

}

This would allow the user to specify concrete example in a familiar syntax and at the same time save some typing. Obviously, the actual name of the function should be something more compact.

However, it's not exactly clear what the semantics should be, since in the above example, we want the beaming rules to be added to the existing rules, but perhaps the default beaming rules should be removed at the first time \use_as_template_for_beaming is used. Also, what happens if a user specifies contradictory rules? I'm sure there are lots of situations where the result would be fairly non-intuitive, in spite of the seemingly intuitive syntax.

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering