Re: [talk] easy tuplets

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [talk] easy tuplets
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:40:50 +0200

Hi all,

First thing that i'd like to say about Graham's proposal is that
supporting arbitrary integer durations doesn't mean we have to abolish
\times (or \tuplet, if we decide to rename it).

I imagine that we could have arbitrary integer durations intended for
use with straightforward tuplets, while continue using explicit \times
command for complicated (for example nested) ones.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>> These notes can be grouped together like we do for beaming, and
>> produce tuplet brackets according to tuplet-beaming rules.
>
> I don't think we have "tuplet brackets according to tuplet-beaming
> rules".

LilyPond doesn't know about any tuplet beaming rules, but i think
Graham meant general music notation tuplet rules.  Like the ones that
can be found in Elaine Gould's "Behind Bars".

And by the way, look at the output of this:

{
  \times 2/3 { b8 }
  \times 2/3 { b8 }
  \times 2/3 { b8 }
  \times 2/3 { b8 }
  \times 2/3 { b8 }
  \times 2/3 { b8 }
  r2
}

Interesting - i mean, TupletNumbers are all wrong, but the beaming is correct.

As for dividing tuplets here

\times 2/3 { c8 c c c c c c c c c c c
             c8 c c c c c c c c c c c }

we can use tupletSpannerDuration.  We could have it calculated from
time signature or something like that.

>> "the casual atmosphere of a friendly
>> discussion at a pub or coffee house"
>
> Would you be rather thinking of a Scottish or a Canadian pub here?

what's the difference?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rhythms often repeat, and I think everyone omits the tuplet number after
> the second repeat or so.   Then
>   {\times2/3 {g8 c' es'} \times2/3 {g8 c' es'} g8*2/3 c' es' g c' es'}
> would be
>   {g12 c' es' g c' es' g8*2/3 c' es' g c' es'}
> placing brackets every three 12-th notes by following automatic beaming.
>
> It might be more clear to have the *x/y get the tuplet brackets,
>   {g8*2/3 c' es' g c' es' g12 c' es' g c' es'}
> placing brackets every three 2/3rd 8-th notes because y=3.

Interesting.  Apart from which one would produce tuplet brackets,
maybe *x/y notation would allow us to distinguish between

  \times 2/3 { b16 b b }
  \times 2/3 { b16 b b }

and

  \times 4/6 { b16 b b b b b }

by writing { b16*2/3 b b b b b } and { b16*4/6 b b b b b }, respectively?

b12 is still more brief, though.

As for \times 2/3 {c8. c16}, {c12. c24} seems clear enough from my
perspective.  No idea whether "computers will like it", though :)

cheers,
Janek