Re: Provide \hide and \no functions for transparent and void glyphs (iss

From: dak
Subject: Re: Provide \hide and \no functions for transparent and void glyphs (issue 6575048)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 08:25:30 +0000

On 2012/10/03 06:27:56, Keith wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:15:23 -0700, <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:

> \hide and \no are for different purposes

Oops, I forgot we were talking about the name 'no' for the function
'\omit'.

The command to restore the stencil could be \unOmit or \restore.

\restore is too generic a name for me, without viable connection to
\omit.

I had to look up \remit in the dictionary, and couldn't find
any meaning that fits this situation.

Hm?

     2. To restore. [Obs.]
        [1913 Webster]

              The archbishop was . . . remitted to his liberty.
                                                    --Hayward.
        [1913 Webster]

Granted, "obsolete" in usage, but a reasonably good pairing for omit.  I
don't like \unOmit, though it matches the rather hideous \unHide (what
was the idea in camelCasing that?  "unhide" is a nice proper word, and
unhideNotes would have been quite fine), since there is no word "unomit"
in English language.  That would be "\include", and this is already
taken.  Or "\reinclude", and that's far too unobvious in its relation to
\omit.

Incidentally, \unHide _can_ work as a tweak (setting transparent to
##f), whereas \remit or whatever would not know _what_ to restore the
stencil to and thus is confined to be a revert.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6575048/