Re: Provide \hide and \no functions for transparent and void glyphs (iss

From: dak
Subject: Re: Provide \hide and \no functions for transparent and void glyphs (issue 6575048)
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:18:30 +0000

On 2012/10/02 11:50:04, J_lowe wrote:
I know \remove has been taken, but is it possible to make a function
(?) know
what the context of it's action is?

\remove is a reserved word, so it is treated specially in the syntax.
If we hypothesize that it was a function, determining its context would
more or less mean letting it look at (current-module) and make it decide
its behavior based on that.  However, that does not work when writing
things like

xxx=\remove yyy

since the syntax of \remove needs to be known already at the time \xxx
is being defined, and we don't know yet which kind of context it will
get called in.

So for better or worse, context-dependency is something that can only be
implemented in quite limited ways.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6575048/