Re: Provide \hide and \no functions for transparent and void glyphs (iss

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Provide \hide and \no functions for transparent and void glyphs (issue 6575048)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:16:13 +0200

"Keith OHara" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 01:25:30 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>       2. To restore. [Obs.]
>>          [1913 Webster]
>>
>>                The archbishop was . . . remitted to his liberty.
>>                                                      --Hayward.
>>

> Don't believe everything you read.

Well, _you_ wrote "I had to look up \remit in the dictionary", so it
would not appear that you have a better reference than what reading
would provide you with.

> Both 'remit' and 'restore' would /fit/ in the quote, meaning 'put
> back', but remit always means sending something away (sin, pain,
> money) as opposed to bringing something back.

Well, "remittere" means "to release", from its word constituents
"back-send".  "omittere" means "to give up, disregard", from its word
constituents "counter-send".

In any case, suitable naming of reversals look like doubling the number
of bikesheds, so I propose halving them again by introducing just a
single bikeshed to rule them all.  We just have to agree whether to call
this bikeshed \un or \re, having

\un\omit \un\hide \un\stemsUp or \re\omit \re\hide \re\stemsUp.

Huh.  Seen like that, it is not even a competition.  The French will
probably hate me for it, but I guess \un it is.