Re: Allow \shape to tweak music, swap its arguments (issue 6585052)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Allow \shape to tweak music, swap its arguments (issue 6585052)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:36:52 +0000

On 2012/10/03 16:38:45, janek wrote:
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM,  <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2012/10/03 05:04:11, janek wrote:
>>
>> i've skimmed over the discussion in
>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2858
>> and i'm confused. Do we want to change
>> \shape GrobName #'offsets
>> into
>> \shape #'offsets GrobName
>> or
>> \shape #'offsets
>> (used as a tweak, with GrobName being guessed)?
>
> Yes.

uh, i ususally find that it's a bad idea to answer "yes" to a question
that goes like "do we want X or Y?"
:)

The question do we want to change X into Y or Z, and the answer to that
was "yes" because you can now _either_ write Y or Z, and _either_ will
work.  \shape will figure out from the _type_ of the last argument
whether it is supposed to override or tweak.

And since tweaks stack awfully when the tweaked argument is not last, we
put the tweaked argument last in _either_ case.  Even if the tweaked
argument happens to be a grob name (resulting in an override) instead of
some music (resulting in a tweak).

> It is quite valuable to be able to use this function as a tweak

...but from this sentence i deduce that we're trying to do the second
thing, i.e. \shape will have one #'offsets argument and no argument
specifying grob name, which will be deduced from the music that
follows the command.  Right?

Either will work.  That's the nice thing.

In that case, LGTM.

And in this case?

https://codereview.appspot.com/6585052/