Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 3

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 3
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 00:55:37 +0200

On 10/08/2012 12:40 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
I diasagree.  Whether or not you we provide separate commands actually
doing the overrides, the choice between all those variants does not
appear to convey musical information individually but just constitutes a
different choice of consistent notation throughout a piece.

Well, that's the point -- if you look at various contemporary pieces (e.g. Ferneyhough), the tuplet style is _not_ consistent throughout the piece but is dependent on musical context. Some tuplets are just a single number (e.g. "standard" triplets or quintuplets), some have ratios, some have a single number and an overall duration, some have ratios and overall durations, ....

It sounds like a complicated mess but visually it's actually quite sane and legible and makes for an easier read than a single "standard" tuplet notation would.

As you say, it would be a PITA to notate such a piece having to use \overrides all over the place to change the style, which is why it would be very helpful if the \tuplet syntax could allow the choice between these stylistic variants to be made concisely. Cf. my very provisional syntax ideas, which I imagine probably aren't workable as-is; but could something functionally equivalent and similarly concise be worked out?