Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:09:05 -0600

On 12-10-13 10:23 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

David, you wrote Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:26 PM

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

Plus \once and now \temporary.  I agree this menagerie is going to be
far more confusing to users than the occasional unexpected result after
calling \crossStaff or \harmonicByFret - which no one has ever
noticed.
No user is required to read the source to \crossStaff or
\harmonicByFret.  That feat is entirely voluntary, and there is no
guarantee that doing so is safe from damaging mind and body.
I don't understand.  Are you suggesting we should not document
these new functions?  If so, what is the set of commands which
should be documented?
I am not suggesting that.  But there is public consent that documenting
them would be harmful to our users.  I recommend you do a poll to find
out which commands the users should be spared from knowing about.

I wonder if David and Trevor are talking about the same commands here: David brought up the example of reading the source of \crossStaff while Trevor seems to be referring to \override, \tweak et al. FWIW, an uneducated bystander such as I agrees with David’s (implied) position: \crossStaff is a black box, and I only need to know what to put in for an expected output. Trevor raises (or at least, seems to me that he does) the diligent and wise caution that this whole set of paired functions will best be served by some well-organised carpentry in NR at least and probably at least passing mention in LM.

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands.