Re: How to procede with \override/\revert business

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: How to procede with \override/\revert business
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:44:50 +0100

Hmm, if i'm reading git log correctly, i'm too late to give my LGTM to
pushing these changes... ;)
Anyway, i'm very happy to see this change!

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:
>> In this case since both searches fail I suppose the parser should warn
>> "cannot recognize the name of any Grob or context-property" but
>> generate a propertySet on the chance that later input defines a
>> "Lyric" context and a Scheme engraver that reads a property
>> "fontsize".
>
> I don't think that we should plan for interfaces where you can
> tentatively use properties before defining them.  There is just too much
> that can go wrong with that.

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly.

Currently (checked with 2.17.3) i can write this in LilyPond code (verbatim):
{
  \override Stem #'my-funky-property = #5
}
LilyPond will complain about an unknown property name, but the
property will be set anyway, and i'll be able to access it later.  I
like this possibility.
Is this what you call "using properties before defining them"?

best,
Janek