Re: Uses single algorithm for side-position spacing. (issue 6827072)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Uses single algorithm for side-position spacing. (issue 6827072)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:01:57 +0100

On 18 nov. 2012, at 00:19, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2012/11/14 07:12:46, mike7 wrote:
>> > lily/axis-group-interface.cc:403: Axis_group_interface::cross_staff
> (SCM
>> > smob)
>> > For what situation?   Which object that supports
> axis-group-interface
>> > (PianoPedalSpanner, DynamicLineSpanner) should be potentially
> considered
>> > a cross-staff object?
>
>> NoteColumn
>

> Of course this leads to the obvious question: Why?
> What is the meaning of marking the entire NoteColumn as "cross-staff" ?
> It seems you already iterated through the elements of a NoteColumn,
> including NoteHeads in skylines but excluding any cross-staff stems.

Try running beam-cross-staff-script.ly with my patch and setting
NoteColumn.cross-staff to ##f.  You'll see that it triggers beam slope
calculations before vertical spacing is done of the staves because NoteColumn,
which is a support for the script, has its height checked prematurely.  This
does not happen in current master because NoteColumn is not a support for
Scripts.

So why did I make NoteColumn a support for Scripts?  I use the NoteColumn as a
side support object because it combines the width of the note head with the
height of the stem.  We don't want UP staccatos, for example, getting tucked
down to the left of UP stems but they will if skylines are used.  So, we use
the NoteColumn as the side support.

Cheers,
MS