Ignoring note value when spacing notes and rests

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Ignoring note value when spacing notes and rests
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:35:00 +0100

I'm setting a piece of late 16th century music (it's in Musica Transalpina), and at this time notes and rests tended to occupy a space determined by their fitment on the page, rather than their note value. I've read the section of the NR on proportional spacing, which does exactly the opposite of what I want. Is there a way to force essentially uniform spacing, regardless of note value?

TIA

--
Phil Holmes