Re: upgrade to c++11

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: upgrade to c++11
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:55:04 +0200

Frédéric Bron <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> We have very few high-quality developers with significant resources
>> for working on LilyPond, and minimal peer review.  As a result, any
>> particularly complex task is very likely to be implemented in a quite
>> suboptimal and underdocumented manner and with code paths that rarely
>> receive proper attentation before they make things blow up.  The
>> probability that some envelope-finding code dropped into LilyPond by
>> a typical LilyPond contributor is close to the quality of somebody
>> who wrote a Phd thesis focused around the topic is slim.
>
> I understand that using external libraries would then help the
> maintenance?

No, it would be a nightmare regarding maintenance, like repairing
clockwork while wearing mittens.

The idea would be that no maintenance would commonly even be required.

We don't write our own assembly code because we hope that GCC is of high
enough quality to save us from having to bother with its code
generation.

And while GCC is indeed rather good, we have reported about one code
generation problem per year to GCC developers.