Re: upgrade to c++11

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: upgrade to c++11
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:46:09 +0200

On 07/14/2013 10:41 PM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
I had taken a look previously at CGAL<URL:http://www.cgal.org/>  since
the kind of stuff we are doing with skylines would benefit from
ready-made code like
<URL:http://www.cgal.org/Manual/latest/doc_html/cgal_manual/Envelope_2/Chapter_main.html>
and frankly, doing things like computational geometry tasks is
a) a resource drain
b) a source for problems

It seems that cgal makes more than boost::geometry that cannot compute
convex hull of curves.

Disclaimer: (By choice of PhD topic and working group,) I'm a CGAL developer, though rarely active and if so, then not in one of the publicly visible areas.

CGAL is a very neat library if you need robust and exact geometry processing. It's complex to set up though (the current workflow requires CMake and, for a "typical" setup, quite a number of dependencies), so I don't know how nicely it plays with GUB. OTOH, the hard requirements boil down to Boost and GMP+MPFR(+MPFI). There's currently progress on even removing GMP as a dependency, but for us GMP licensing is a non-issue, and using it makes your CGAL life a lot easier. For use cases like skylines of segments which mostly deal with linear geometry and are very unlikely to hit degenerate cases, CGAL is a very heavy hammer. But using it saves you from even thinking about what situations can occur, and this code is highly optimized.

If you know a good piece of code to test a migration to CGAL, give me a ping, and I'll try to help.

Best,
Alexander