Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:16:13 +0100

Here is a scan from a Peters edition of Grieg with somewhat flamboyantly
executed slurs (I am almost sure that the engraver had felt some grim
satisfaction when doing those).

PNG image

LilyPond's rendition of the slurs is actually reasonable readable.
However, the measures take probably 40% more width.

And the tuplet numbers are definitely awful.  I tried it with 2.16.2,
and the results were either equally awful, or one of the tuplet numbers
was written in the middle of the beams.  Can't reproduce this right now
with -dpreview, however, so whether the tuplet numbers are in the clouds
or the beams probably depends on some internal evaluation order.

PNG image