Re: Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:20:31 +0100

On 03/12/13 13:16, David Kastrup wrote:
LilyPond's rendition of the slurs is actually reasonable readable.
However, the measures take probably 40% more width.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. My impression is that older scores are often more horizontally (and vertically) compact in order to save on the number of plates that need to be engraved and corrected.

And the tuplet numbers are definitely awful.  I tried it with 2.16.2,
and the results were either equally awful, or one of the tuplet numbers
was written in the middle of the beams.  Can't reproduce this right now
with -dpreview, however, so whether the tuplet numbers are in the clouds
or the beams probably depends on some internal evaluation order.

The tuplet number placement is bizarre. There's no reason why it shouldn't be close to the beams.