Re: Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Some audicious hand-engraved slurs compared to LilyPond
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:17:05 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is a scan from a Peters edition of Grieg with somewhat flamboyantly
> executed slurs (I am almost sure that the engraver had felt some grim
> satisfaction when doing those).
>

> LilyPond's rendition of the slurs is actually reasonable readable.
> However, the measures take probably 40% more width.
>
> And the tuplet numbers are definitely awful.  I tried it with 2.16.2,
> and the results were either equally awful, or one of the tuplet numbers
> was written in the middle of the beams.  Can't reproduce this right now
> with -dpreview, however, so whether the tuplet numbers are in the clouds
> or the beams probably depends on some internal evaluation order.

Sorry, forgot the code:

\version "2.16.0"

\layout { ragged-right = ##f }
\new PianoStaff \with { \accidentalStyle piano }
<<
  \time 6/8
  \new Staff = "up" \relative f {
    \key f\major
    a''8-.-> r
    \times 4/5 { bes32( a f des \change Staff = "down"
                  a }
    des,8-.) \change Staff = "up" r8  c''32( d c d |
    c8-.->) r
    \times 4/6 { d32( c bes f \change Staff = "down"
                  c a }
    c,8-.) \change Staff = "up" r16 cis''16( a8-.)
  }
  \new Staff = "down" \relative f {
    \key f\major
    des''8-.-> r8 s8 s8 r8 f32( a f a |