Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:37:15 +0200

On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:27 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

On Dec 10, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 00:10:08 -0800, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

"Keith OHara" <address@hidden> writes:

I timed one big score, Movement 1 of
<http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=1793>
       2.16.2  2.17.95
WinXP   2m 30s  5m 10s
Fedora  1m 50s  1m 50s

Have you used the GUB-compiled binary package, or Fedora's built-in or a
self-compiled package?  I think that you probably can only make
platform-specific comparisons if you use GUB for all.

GUB-compiled packages in all cases give the same results as above.

Most of the increase in time to set this score happened between 2.17.0 and .1
2.16.2 2m 30s
2.17.0 2m 28s
2.17.1 4m 06s
so it is probably the issue 2148 patch, use of outlines instead of
boxes for layout.

I did speed-test that patch, but under Linux.  Maybe the system
calls to the font server, to get outlines for the glyphs, take
longer under Windows.

One easy way to avoid this is to turn off this feature with
vertical-skylines = ##f for lots of grobs - I do this often for big
scores when I want to compile them fast, but I reactivate the more
accurate vertical skylines for the final version.

Sigh.  It's stuff like that which really makes me pessimistic about the
prospects of LilyPond as serious software.

If its developers consider it unusable for serious work out of the box

It’s the opposite - I use the out of the box settings for serious work - it’s the unserious playing around that I try to speed up.

I’ve said on several occasions that I’m indifferent deactivating some or all of vertical skylines as a default.  Several people are against this deactivation (notable Janek).  I’d be interested in gradations of UI options called perhaps:

\faster-but-uglier
\a-lot-faster-but-a-lot-uglier
\ridiculously-fast-and-heinously-ugly

that people can invoke at the top level to speed things up but get uglier results.  This is trivial to implement, but I’d be interested to hear what UI-savvy people think.

Cheers,
MS