Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:43:21 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> One extra lookup per glyph might be enough to explain the difference.
>>> We need to look up the glyph to get a skyline, but maybe could cache
>>> its index into the font in the stencil.
>>
>> That does not sound very useful since we still would do the lookup
>> once per stencil rather than once per m and once per f.
>>
>> It _is_ annoying that this job is not done efficiently by the
>> Freetype library.
>
> I don't follow.  What exactly is annoying?  Please explain.

Caching of frequently accessed information if that information is
expensive to access.

>> Is it possible that the Freetype library on Windows imprudently
>> accesses (and possibly creates on the fly) some Truetype versions or
>> conversions of the fonts for getting the outlines?
>
> Nope.  FreeType uses exactly the same code on both platforms,

Unlikely as it is talking to different font servers and systems.

> and it never converts fonts on the fly.

But its request to the respective font subsystem might still result in
stuff getting resolved via the Truetype path.

>> That might also explain
>> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2657>, the
>> still unresolved Issue 2657: font kerning on Windows is broken
>
> Certainly not.  This is not a FreeType problem, since kerning and the
> like is handled one level above FreeType.

Well, if Freetype talks to different levels above, it might have
misunderstandings with the upper level on Windows.