Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:30:27 +0100 (CET)

> Caching of frequently accessed information if that information is
> expensive to access.

*That* I have understood :-) Please give more information, in
particular, which calls appear to be expensive.

>> Nope.  FreeType uses exactly the same code on both platforms,
>
> Unlikely as it is talking to different font servers and systems.

Being the maintainer of FreeType, I think I can answer this correctly,
so please believe me.  The only system-specific stuff is debugging
code.  Maybe you are mixing this up with fontconfig?

>> and it never converts fonts on the fly.
>
> But its request to the respective font subsystem might still result
> in stuff getting resolved via the Truetype path.

Well, this is beyond the control of FreeType.  Even on Windows,
lilypond talks with fontconfig, right?  And as far as I know,
fontconfig doesn't convert fonts – given that FreeType understands a
lot of font formats, this would be really silly.

    Werner