Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:07:19 -0800

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:44:18 -0800, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

After a brief look at the code, it looked like for each glyph being laid out
there is one extra call of Open_type_font:: or Pango_font::name_to_index(),
which is the function called by find_by_name() that caused the extra time with
issue 1926.

I am happy to say that I was wrong here.

Open_type_font:: and Pango_font::name_to_index() each call FT_Get_Name_Index().
 Inserting print statements to trace those calls I find that FT_Get_Name_Index
is called:
7 times for each character in a Tempo
5 times for each character in a Text Script
1 time for each notehead
5 times for each rest

If I use boxes instead of glyph outlines for vertical-skylines:
0 times for each character in a Tempo (probably just uses the Unicode index)
0 times for each character in a Text Script ( " )
1 time for each notehead
5 times for each rest

So the outlines for each letter are re-built several times (through some path
in the code that I have not yet found).  Whether the expensive part is the
FreeType function call, or joining about 60 boxes per character into the
skyline for the word, there is a good chance that we can save both by building
skylines once for each word.