Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:51:51 -0800

On Dec 13, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

Open_type_font:: and Pango_font::name_to_index() each call FT_Get_Name_Index().
 Inserting print statements to trace those calls I find that FT_Get_Name_Index
is called:
7 times for each character in a Tempo

The layers of functions that result in repeated calls to the skylining code
have changed since the original skylines patch.  The latest change was

author  David Kastrup <address@hidden>
         Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:02:48 +0000 (20:02 +0100)
 Issue 3200: Make ly:make-unpure-pure-container accept a single callback

 Like with fixed values, this gets duplicated for the pure value as
 well, but converted into a callback taking two more arguments (which
 are ignored).

This type of unpure-pure-container is not a container of two functions but
rather a single callback function, that promises to refrain from forcing
line-break decisions (to be 'pure') and that ignores the two arguments giving
the start- and end- of the line it would be on in the tentative line-breaks
under consideration.

In this case repeated calls will recompute the same value, so I see no reason
to keep the function-call pointer in place after the first use.  So I suggest
we treat this case as if it were a simple lookup of a property, rather than a
'pure' lookup.  http://codereview.appspot.com/42190043

This case includes the function to find skylines for Lyrics and TextScripts.