Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 11:01:17 +0200

On Dec 15, 2013, at 10:46 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

The layout engine could use get_property_data() freely, but before it
has set line-breaks the layout engine would refrain from calling any
callback functions directly.  Instead of a callback for height',
layout functions would look up the grob property
tentative-height-estimator' where tentative-*-estimators are always
functions that take the start-end columns as parameters.

This seems not too far from what we’re doing now, but it adds a lot
more properties.

I was of the opinion that the tentative estimators (pure) were for the
situation _before_ the line breaking.

This is the case.

The tentative-height-estimator for something like a Slur or
VerticalAxisGroup would return its best guess for the height, while
the estimator for a Clef would simply get_property("height") causing
its stencil to be formed and leaving the resulting data in the
stencil' and 'height' properties for further use.

This seems to get the same result we have now while adding a lot of
extra properties.

Yup.  It would seem like we'd need more some nicer construct for
providing a number of behaviors in a single callback/property, with
caching for each set of _relevant_ preconditions.

Yup.

I like the idea of their being a single property that is honed in on
with successive estimates until we get the perfect value.  This is how
I do a Sudoku - I pencil the guesses in the squares

Blasphemy!

Then LilyPond is a blasphemous piece of software...that has typeset thousands of pieces of liturgical music…

Cheers,
MS