Re: Web: Download: Add introductory text (issue 40510046)

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Web: Download: Add introductory text (issue 40510046)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:46:32 -0800 (PST)

Graham Percival-3 wrote
>> >Maybe another whole page about "sample
>> >usage", or something like that?
>>
>> Maybe this should even be split: One dedicated page explaining the
>> concept of IDEs, similar to the Text Input page but less elaborate,
>> and another page that more or less lists available editors (i.e. the
>> current "Easier editing" page with some modifications).
>
> I like that idea.  So there would be 3 pages in Introduction:
> - lilypond is text input
> - text input means you write text
> - list of available editors

Continuing in this direction... what if the "list of available editors" was
then put on the download page itself, just below the LilyPond download
content?  With a header to the effect of "Download an Editor to Use with
LilyPond," and a brief explanatory text ("these are 3rd party..." etc.) with
links to the text input pages.

Or even more radically, on the download page the list of editors could be in
the right-hand column, and the LilyPond download content in the left hand
column.

Either way this would really convey that you need LilyPond and (probably
also) an editor.

Graham Percival-3 wrote
> My rule of thumb is that doubling the text results in half the number of
> people reading it.

+1 for keeping the website text concise

Graham Percival-3 wrote
> If somebody is unfamiliar with text input, you cannot give a good
> explanation in 3 sentences that they will understand.  You can't,
> I can't, nobody can.  It's a whole different concept.

Here's how I would reword the warning to make it as concrete and simple as
possible:

Note: With LilyPond you write and edit music by typing text with your
keyboard, not by dragging notes around with a mouse. Before downloading,
please read about LilyPond's Text input.

As compared with the current:

Note: LilyPond is a text-based music engraver; it is more similar to a
programming language than a graphical score editing program. Before
downloading LilyPond, please read about our Text input.

-Paul