Re: Simplified version of Trevor Daniels' SATB framework. (issue 3872004

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Simplified version of Trevor Daniels' SATB framework. (issue 38720045)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:54:04 -0500

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not sure about using the default paper
> margins.  The printed output goes very close
> to the left margin and the bottom of the bass
> staff is cut off on some pages.  Either LP's
> defaults should be changed or we include the
> values I suggested originally in my templates
> in https://codereview.appspot.com/41990043/ .
>
> On balance I'd prefer to change them in the
> template, on the grounds that they are tailored
> for SATB layouts whereas the LP defaults may
> be more suited to other forms of music.

I'm not sure I agree. I think for maximum utility, the template should
define as little as possible regarding the physical dimensions of the
page and margin, so that the user can use whatever style they want.
For instance, I use a 1/4 inch margin on a half-letter format
normally, but a 3/4 inch margin or so on a full letter size page. If
the point is to simplify vocal scores, do the minimum required to
produce the vocal score and leave the rest alone.

Carl P.