Re: Simplified version of Trevor Daniels' SATB framework. (issue 3872004

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Simplified version of Trevor Daniels' SATB framework. (issue 38720045)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:48:13 -0000

Carl Peterson wrote Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:54 PM

> I'm not sure I agree. I think for maximum utility, the template should
> define as little as possible regarding the physical dimensions of the
> page and margin, so that the user can use whatever style they want.

But if the user is going to define his/her own \paper block the
defaults will be overridden anyway - having them would do
no harm nor cause more work for them.

> For instance, I use a 1/4 inch margin on a half-letter format
> normally, but a 3/4 inch margin or so on a full letter size page. If
> the point is to simplify vocal scores, do the minimum required to
> produce the vocal score and leave the rest alone.

Well, the point is rather to enable the user to do the minimum
required to produce a vocal score.  LP already has an A4
default output, so setting margins by default to suit that, rather
than _requiring_ a user to learn about \paper would definitely help
newcomers.  (The NR section on \paper is pretty daunting for
a newcomer!  And it's not even mentioned in the LM.)

Trevor