Re: Confusing documentation of show-available-fonts

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Confusing documentation of show-available-fonts
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:40:46 +0100

> On 06/02/14 14:30, Francisco Vila wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Here
>>

>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/fonts.html#single-entry-fonts
>>
>> shouldn't we say
>>
>>    "The following console command"
>>
>> or similar, instead of
>>
>>    "The following command"
>>
>> which erroneusly suggests a lilypond command?
>
> It is a lilypond command.
>
> lilypond -dshow...
>
> What else could it be?

Well, a lilypond command is a command of the GNU lilypond free music
typesetting language. 'lilypond' is not a lilypond command. It is a
shell command. You launch the lilypond executable with it.

Reading the LilyPond documentation, it soon becomes clear what a
command is in this context, and we should not freely mix lilypond
commands and console / commandline commands in the same section
without some kind of warning.

I _can_ tell about at least a case in which an user tried to run
lilypond -dshow... from inside a lilypond document in frescobaldi.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com