Re: Confusing documentation of show-available-fonts

From: James
Subject: Re: Confusing documentation of show-available-fonts
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:11:33 +0000

On 06/02/14 17:40, Francisco Vila wrote:
On 06/02/14 14:30, Francisco Vila wrote:
Hello.

Here

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/fonts.html#single-entry-fonts

shouldn't we say

    "The following console command"

or similar, instead of

    "The following command"

which erroneusly suggests a lilypond command?
It is a lilypond command.

lilypond -dshow...

What else could it be?
Well, a lilypond command is a command of the GNU lilypond free music
typesetting language. 'lilypond' is not a lilypond command. It is a
shell command. You launch the lilypond executable with it.

Reading the LilyPond documentation, it soon becomes clear what a
command is in this context, and we should not freely mix lilypond
commands and console / commandline commands in the same section
without some kind of warning.

I _can_ tell about at least a case in which an user tried to run
lilypond -dshow... from inside a lilypond document in frescobaldi.

Then something like

"Running lilypond with the following option displays a list of all available fonts on the operating system:"

I just don't think we need to get too buried in the different contexts of the word 'command'.

James