Where do the Century Font files come from?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Where do the Century Font files come from?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:54:31 +0100

Hi,

I'm wondering where the Century Font files come from that land in mf/out and out/share/lilypond/current/fonts when building lily.

I don't find any sources, and trying to understand mf/GNUmakefile I get the impression that they are somehow pulled from the latex installation that is part of the LilyPond build dependencies.

I'm asking because I'd like to have an estimate on the amount of work or complexity needed to add font faces to Century, a condensed version in particular.

The width of LilyPond's default text font is the major issue for using it in a vocal music style sheet for me. Once I started a survey but didn't find a suitable free replacement font. While there were several fonts that were aesthetically quite suitable for a LilyPond engraving stylesheet I didn't find any that would be suitable for typesetting dense lyrics. So unfortunately I'm still tied to use the commercial Minion font which has _lots_ of faces, with the particular advantage of allowing to combine for example condensed with medium _or_ semibold.

If Century came from metafont source it should be in theory be comparably simple to add a narrower variant, isn't it?

But that's probably useless hope?

Urs