Re: Where do the Century Font files come from?

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Where do the Century Font files come from?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:31:15 +0600

Am 2014-02-12 um 19:54 schrieb Urs Liska <address@hidden>:

> I don't find any sources, and trying to understand mf/GNUmakefile I get the
> impression that they are somehow pulled from the latex installation that is
> part of the LilyPond build dependencies.
> I'm asking because I'd like to have an estimate on the amount of work or
> complexity needed to add font faces to Century, a condensed version in
> particular.

A narrow variant would be great, but never underestimate the work for a good
typeface!

If you’re serious, you should get in contact with the Polish font guys that are
responsible for TeX Gyre (Schola etc.):
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre

I don’t think the new font face is possible without some major funding - the
current faces still lack Cyrillic (there once was, like in LilyPond’s variant,
but it was removed AFAIK due to licensing and also quality issues).

> If Century came from metafont source it should be in theory be comparably
> simple to add a narrower variant, isn't it?

AFAIK only the music fonts are from MF sources.

> But that's probably useless hope?

Just hope is useless ;-)

Greetlings, Hraban
---