Re: [SPAM] Re: GSoC 2014

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: GSoC 2014
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:56:37 +0100

> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>> Janek's Tie Crusade?
>
> There is a three-month limit as far as I can see.  There seems little
> point in proposing stuff that a student cannot realistically be expected
> to wrap his head around in the given time frame.
> [...] With something vague and complicated
> like "tie crusade" or "slur formatting", I don't see anything happening
> with a tangible result.

I estimate the time needed for fixing tie formatting to be 120-200
hours (for someone roughly familiar with LilyPond codebase).  When we
take into account that such estimates usually are 50% off, and add 100
hours for getting familiar with the codebase, we get 400 hours = 10
weeks of full-time work.  Seems to be a reasonable fit for GSoC time
frame.

> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>> That may well be true, and my suggestion wasn't too educated.
>> But I had the impression that at least the Tie project was of a
>> reasonable size,
>
> What _is_ the "tie project"?  There are lists of ugly ties.  That's not
> a project.
>
>> and equipped with enough pre-research.
>
> I don't see anything that would serve as either a direction or a
> starting point.

You know what?  It's VERY frustrating to spend 200+ hours (during the
last 2 years) collecting examples and researching tie formatting, and
then see someone - especially an involved developer like you - say
"what tie project? what research? i don't see any".

And i didn't only collect lists of ugly ties.  I already have a spec
draft, and a pretty good idea how to approach the issue.

Several times i have offered to share my research.  Usually it seemed
that noone cared to see it.

So, I am really angry because of what you said and how you said it.