Re: long-term goals (was: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: long-term goals (was: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 00:28:09 +0100

Am 23.02.2014 17:38, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Am 23.02.2014 13:09, schrieb Janek Warchoł:

As for the list of long-term projects, i don't think we have any
(which is very bad for the project imo).  I would be happy to write
something down if there is at least one other developer interested in
reviewing and expanding it.

No volunteers?  :-(
Kieren, i'm not sure if it's not too late for this, but _maybe_ i'll
manage to write something down anyway.

I didn't want to post that because I'm not ready with it yet, but I think I
have to comment on this occasion.

I was asked by the head of the "music informatics" (however the correct
English term would be) department of a University nearby for suggestions for
projects that could be assigned to students for their bachelor, master or
PhD thesis'. This will of course be a non-binding list without guarantee
that anything will be really done. But it _can_ provide nice input of
man-power.

Wow, this is awesome!!

Let's hope it will lead to something.
I talked with this professor as part of my recent "lobbying" activities, and asked if it would be possible to give students projects of that kind. He was very welcoming and told me that he's always looking for ideas for the students who don't have ideas by themselves (ts, ts ...). As they have the computer science and the musicological institute which don't work together as intensely as hoped, he is quite interested in supporting projects that may promote the relationship of both.

I will write together a list with projects, but explicitly from my (i.e. the
musicological) perspective. I already have such a document, but that's more
a personal sketch.

Maybe it's a good idea to do that in a Wiki of github.com/openlilylib?

Hmm.
A wiki would be nice, but maybe it could just be a full-blown repo
with lilypond notes?

The thing is: editing text files in a repo using github interface is
as simple as editing a wiki (the only difference is that you need
permission to edit files in the repo, while the wiki can be open to
everyone - but we could give permission to everyone who asked).  To
add images or other files (i.e. non-text stuff) to the wiki, one has
to clone it like a repo anyway (github wikis are git repos under the
hood).

Makes sense.

So, i'd personally lean towards creating a big "lilypond-notes" repo
that everyone from LilyPond community can access.  Or maybe we could
put this in an existing repo, like
https://github.com/gperciva/lilypond-extra ?  Opinions?

https://github.com/lilypond/roadmap ?

Urs

best,
Janek

PS for the people who don't like GitHub: maybe we could use gitlab for
that, if someone would volunteer setting the repo up.