Re: long-term goals

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: long-term goals
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 00:08:14 +0100

Hi David,

Am 23.02.2014 18:03, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

I didn't want to post that because I'm not ready with it yet, but I
think I have to comment on this occasion.

I was asked by the head of the "music informatics" (however the
correct English term would be) department of a University nearby for
suggestions for projects that could be assigned to students for their
bachelor, master or PhD thesis'. This will of course be a non-binding
list without guarantee that anything will be really done. But it _can_
provide nice input of man-power.

Bachelor: rewrite and benchmark skyline algorithms according to specs

           convert to GUILEv2 (that one's more like a term paper).

master: derive, prove and corrobate the asymptotic behavior of former

         refactor and create framework for outputs, adding XML output

         refactor page output, adding several examples for user-defined
         page layouts (with footnote layers suitable for critical typesetting)

         redesign and refactor engraver layers

Phd:    design optimization specification framework, migration strategy,
         bind page breaking into it, start migrating engravers

And quite a bit more.  There is always the diffuse

Bachelor:
         benchmark a whole lot and improve the hotspots until deadline
         approaches

thanks for this list. I will note them, although I'll probably need more specific information about many of them because I can't easily understand what you mean by them. And: Please take into account that I _have_ to stress the musicological perspective, while many of your suggestions are more generic or "core" improvements.

Do you see the idea of making LilyPond a "usable" library in this context? That is, could such projects contribute significant parts towards such a goal? I think this possibility could be a big push towards using LilyPond as a rendering engine for current and future "digital edition" projects.

Urs

I will write together a list with projects, but explicitly from my
(i.e. the musicological) perspective. I already have such a document,
but that's more a personal sketch.

Nothing wrong with that...