Re: long-term goals (was: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: long-term goals (was: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:44:30 +0100

Am 23.02.2014 13:09, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi,

I’ve know someone at Carnegie-Mellon University who is well-connected
in the computer and music departments (he is both a composer and a programmer).
I approached him recently with the idea of getting involved with Lilypond.

He said:

One possibility is that sometimes there are software engineering projects
looking for tasks, so I might be able to point a class project at Lilypond
in the future.
I'm curious if there's a short summary of the direction for large-scale work on
Lilypond.

Is there something we can forward to him, so that he can take it to his
department and/or colleagues for consideration? If we could convince
a major university to take on [some or all of the] programming —
for single projects or the whole enchilada — I think it would be
a big boost to the ‘Pond.

That would be extremely cool!
As for the list of long-term projects, i don't think we have any
(which is very bad for the project imo).  I would be happy to write
something down if there is at least one other developer interested in
reviewing and expanding it.

No volunteers?  :-(
Kieren, i'm not sure if it's not too late for this, but _maybe_ i'll
manage to write something down anyway.

best,
Janek

I didn't want to post that because I'm not ready with it yet, but I think I have to comment on this occasion.

I was asked by the head of the "music informatics" (however the correct English term would be) department of a University nearby for suggestions for projects that could be assigned to students for their bachelor, master or PhD thesis'. This will of course be a non-binding list without guarantee that anything will be really done. But it _can_ provide nice input of man-power.

I will write together a list with projects, but explicitly from my (i.e. the musicological) perspective. I already have such a document, but that's more a personal sketch.

Maybe it's a good idea to do that in a Wiki of github.com/openlilylib?

Urs