Re: ly:one-page-breaking? plus the cheapest line breaking algorithm

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ly:one-page-breaking? plus the cheapest line breaking algorithm
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:39:31 +0100

Am 21.11.2014 14:31, schrieb David Kastrup:
Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:

On Nov 21, 2014, at 04:53 , Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 21.11.2014 10:46, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

I just read about the " ly:one-line-breaking" function and thought it
would be a good idea to have a "ly:one-page-breaking" complement for
it too.
This would produce a score with regular line length and paper width,
but on one long page.
So it would seem to me like we should likely be able to specify the page
breaking strategy (including none) and the line breaking strategy
(including none) independently.
Sorry, that's what I intended to say.
I meant that any displaying entity (say an editor like Frescobaldi)
could *decide* to use both options at the same time. But of course
they should not be tied together.

So, yes, this is two related but independent feature requests.
What are the page-height limitations of the output formats that would
be used?  Will the displaying program handle a page that is 3m long
(10 A4 pages).  What about 30m?  What about other viewing programs
that might be used for debugging?
We do not appear particularly concerned about that with
ly:one-line-breaking and that one will result in quite larger
dimensions.

Will the displaying program have to render the whole page in one shot
and cache the output for display?  It might be more practical to
produce a score with one variable-height page per system and have the
displaying program stitch them together.  Then it could ignore pages
that are not on screen so as not to waste time or memory.
Setting systems-per-page to 1 is already feasible I think.

Thinking about this through these comments I'm considering drawing back the request for a one-page-breaking. systems-per-page of 1 is only partially good enough because you have to manually set the paper height then. And you'd have page numbering by system.

Maybe a better approach would be to have LilyPond output individual files per system as with lilypond-book-preamble and not care at all about page breaking calculations? Which I think is what one would usually want anyway when using output of lilypond-book-preamble.

Having a displaying program (be it an editor, a LaTeX or an HTML document) stitch together the systems and optionally take care of page breaking seems like a good idea in that context. In any case, such a program that want to implement a pageless scrolling mode should also be able to do that with individual slices.

Best
Urs