Re: ly:one-page-breaking? plus the cheapest line breaking algorithm

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ly:one-page-breaking? plus the cheapest line breaking algorithm
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:54:12 +0100

Am 21.11.2014 14:51, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Having a displaying program (be it an editor, a LaTeX or an HTML
document) stitch together the systems and optionally take care of page
breaking seems like a good idea in that context. In any case, such a
program that want to implement a pageless scrolling mode should also
be able to do that with individual slices.
We do that stitching-together currently in LilyPond-book mode.  However,
the vertical spacing goes down the drain.  To preserve proper spacing,
we would need to have pre-break, post-break, no-break spacing specs
and/or springs passed out to TeX/LaTeX or whatever backend is in effect.

We are particularly missing out on the skyline-based no-break spec right
now.

I think from the perspective of an editor feature it would be enough to have the editor insert arbitrary padding between the systems. In such a continuous mode we don't care about system to system spacing with regard to page formatting. But I agree that having some notion of a "natural" top and bottom padding of the systems would be good to have.