Re: ly:one-page-breaking? plus the cheapest line breaking algorithm

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ly:one-page-breaking? plus the cheapest line breaking algorithm
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:07:29 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 21.11.2014 14:51, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Having a displaying program (be it an editor, a LaTeX or an HTML
>>> document) stitch together the systems and optionally take care of page
>>> breaking seems like a good idea in that context. In any case, such a
>>> program that want to implement a pageless scrolling mode should also
>>> be able to do that with individual slices.
>> We do that stitching-together currently in LilyPond-book mode.  However,
>> the vertical spacing goes down the drain.  To preserve proper spacing,
>> we would need to have pre-break, post-break, no-break spacing specs
>> and/or springs passed out to TeX/LaTeX or whatever backend is in effect.
>>
>> We are particularly missing out on the skyline-based no-break spec right
>> now.
>
> I think from the perspective of an editor feature it would be enough
> to have the editor insert arbitrary padding between the systems.

Denemo is not an editor.

> In such a continuous mode we don't care about system to system spacing
> with regard to page formatting. But I agree that having some notion of
> a "natural" top and bottom padding of the systems would be good to
> have.

When taking stock of the situation and considering what we have and what
we would want in the context of extending LilyPond's functionality,
I think it would shortsighted to restrict any extension work exclusively
to the needs of a single user/application.

"What's in it for existing and other uses when we
redesign/refactor/extend this part of LilyPond" is quite a valid
question in my book.