Re: Part combiner: separate split state and voice names

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Part combiner: separate split state and voice names
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 17:44:48 -0500

On Nov 29, 2014, at 16:46 , Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dan Eble <dan <at> faithful.be> writes:
>
>> I would like the Scheme portion of the part
>> combiner to dictate the names of the voices to use at every moment.
>
> Simply letting us specify the Voices _once_ for the whole output of
> \partcombine would help a lot.

It would, and I’m glad you’re encouraging me to dig up my ancient patch to do
that, but I wasn’t thinking of making any user-visible changes in the scope of
the work suggested in this thread.  (That could come later.)

> Include an example in your patch, where we want to rearrange the routing
> of soloI, unison, etc., to Voices mid-piece.

This suggestion was motivated by recent work on cases in which both parts are
resting.  If the desired action is to route only one of the voices to the
shared voice, the Scheme half currently can only say “unisilence” and the
Part_combine_iterator picks a voice.  The problem is that sometimes it doesn’t
pick well.  It seems that the Scheme half has the information to make a better
decision.

One way to handle this would be to add named states for other useful routing
combinations, like dividing “unisilence” into “unisilence1” and “unisilence2”.
I figured that might get out of hand.
—
Dan