Re: Possible tweaks to the appearance of the website

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Possible tweaks to the appearance of the website
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 22:04:13 +0100

Hi Paul,

thanks for sticking your head into this.
Some comments from my side below.

Am 04.01.2015 um 16:32 schrieb Paul Morris:
Greetings LilyPond developers,

Over the last few weeks I had some time and found myself experimenting with
the appearance of the LilyPond website, especially the main navigation
bars/menus at the top of each page.  You can see a "sketch" of what I've
come up with at the following URL:
(Take out the two spaces, inserted here to help prevent web crawlers from
finding and indexing these temporary pages. A robots.txt file is also in
place to prevent this.)

http://clairnote.org / lilypond-web-demo/

No big redesign, just some fairly subtle tweaks to the current one. If those
who make such decisions like what they see, I can submit the changes through
the proper channels.

I think there is no official entity who makes such decisions. It's rather like someone uploading a patch and others objecting against it or not. As I experienced changes to the website are expected to raise more objections than obscure changes to the code, simply because anybody can have an opinion about the topic.

Let me know what you think.  Some notes follow.

Cheers,
-Paul

Notes:

- Almost all the changes are CSS changes (presentation rather than content).

- I've used CSS gradients instead of background images wherever possible.

Sounds like a good idea.

This eliminates the need to download 23 background image files, providing
some small benefit to page load times and server load.  CSS gradients are
now well supported by browsers, except for IE9 and earlier (which should
just display a solid color fallback). See:
http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-gradients
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/linear-gradient

- The gradients of the main nav bar are more subtle, like the gradients in
other places.

I think this is an improvement. Looks more even and slightly more "modern".
However, when IE <= 9 doesn't support that it's clearly not an option. But I think I'd prefere a browser switch over discarding the idea altogether.

- Active headings are a darker shade rather than being a reversed gradient.

This is definitely an improvement. I found that reversed gradient always annoying.

- The second nav bar is simplified to one consistent color, making it
clearer which is the active heading.

I prefer that too, but the contrast between active and non-active item should be more. Probably I'd make the non-active backgrounds a little bit lighter.

- The home page link/heading is "LilyPond" rather than the lily icon. Since
LilyPond is not a big-budget commercial brand with a well known logo, having
"LilyPond" here seemed like a good idea.  Also the icon is a bit too tall to
fit comfortably in the space, and if shrunk for a better fit it would be
less clear what it is. The width of this link/heading now matches the others
instead of being smaller.

I'm undecided about that. I wouldn't miss that image too much, but OTOH it gives some liveliness to the page header. Apart from that I'm not sure that "LilyPond" is the right term here. "LilyPond" - "Introduction" - "Download" doesn't seem like a natural sequence. Actually it's "Home", isn't it?

- The search box is slightly smaller and light green to give the main nav
bar a more smooth and solid look.

LGTM.

- The light-green-to-white fade in the background is in both top left and
top right corners of the page. Since the site is a centered design this is
more symmetrical. The white on green diagonal staff is removed for a simpler
and less distracting look. (This is done with CSS gradients, but ultimately
images may provide better results in some browsers (e.g. Chrome)).

I think I'd miss the background score here.
The symmetry is a good idea, so maybe we could have some kind of continuation on the right hand side, either the end of the same system or an example of a different kind of notation.

On my system (Chrome on Linux) the gradients don't look good and show quite annoying stripes. So maybe an image would be indeed better here.

Best
Urs

- The CSS file needs some clean up, since previous code has mostly been
commented out for now.