Re: Reduce size of PDF files when inc. in *TeX docs (issue 194090043 by

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Reduce size of PDF files when inc. in *TeX docs (issue 194090043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:20:34 +0100

On 15.01.2015 17:01, address@hidden wrote:

PDFTeX apparently does merge subsetted fonts,

Which version?

so I don't think we should
need to include the complete fonts in order to get font merging. But we
probably should work with coding vectors so that we can use identical
font names, just sparsely populated.

ghostscript, called by lilypond to produce pdfs, needs three encoding vectors
for
the emmentaler glyphs, and writes three copies of the font to the pdf file. I
don't
see a way to avoid that.

I would then expect PDFTeX to
merge the sparsely populated fonts of identical name unless
\pdfinclusioncopyfonts is set.

Redundant coding vectors should have much less of an impact on the
intermediate file size than the full Emmentaler fonts.  Right?

That would mean to change e.g.

/Emmentaler-18 findfont dup length dict copy begin
/Encoding LilyNoteHeadEncoding def
/Emmentaler-18-N currentdict definefont pop end
/Emmentaler-18 findfont dup length dict copy begin
/Encoding LilyScriptEncoding def
/Emmentaler-18-S currentdict definefont pop end
/Emmentaler-18 findfont dup length dict copy begin
/Encoding LilyOtherEncoding def
/Emmentaler-18-O currentdict definefont pop end

in a way that gs does not include three copies of the Emmentaler-18 font.
I don't think that is possible.

cu,
 Knut

https://codereview.appspot.com/194090043/