Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 22:27:13 -0700 (MST)

Hi David,

Glad you're interested in working on LilyPond for GSoC!

I looked into Google's rules[1] and even though LilyPond is not one of the
accepted mentoring organizations (the deadline has passed for that) the GNU
project is.[2]  Since LilyPond is part of the GNU project, a LilyPond GSoC
project could be sponsored by GNU as the organization (and that might be the
best arrangement in any case).

Also, it seems that students can propose any project, even projects that are
not listed on an organization's official "ideas list."[3]  It just needs to
be a project that both the student and the organization are interested in
pursuing.

So... the questions are: can we get you set up with a mentor and a project,
and is GNU open to considering a LilyPond project.  As I understand it, GNU
will be awarded some unspecified number of students that they get to take
on, and then they get to choose from the successful student applications
(out of the students who applied to work with GNU).

-Paul

[1]
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html