Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 10:01:11 +0100

David Garfinkle <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a computer science and music (piano) undergrad student at McGill,
> and I'm interested in contributing to Lilypond as part of the
> Google Summer of Code program.
> I looked through the list of projects on <http://www.lilypond.org/gsoc.html>
> and found the following interesting:
>
> Grace Notes (has issue #34 been solved?
> <https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=34>)

Uh oh.  That is not a GSoC project.  It is three.

1: document what iterators do and how they interact in the Contributor's
Guide
2: document Sequential_iterator and Simultaneous_iterator
3: figure out issue 34 and fix it.  Just to throw some buzzwords into
the arena, it might involve implementing something like grace fixups for
simultaneous music

Don't underestimate point 1: the amount of available documentation for
iterators is ridiculous.  Basically you read the code or else.

> Improving Ties and Slurs

I presume their graphical appearance.  Could work if you are acquainted
with how LilyPond does graphics or a fast learner.

> Improve Beaming

Probably no really low-hanging fruit there.  Anything in particular you
are thinking about?

> MusicXML ("experimental export"? current issues with import?)

Actually anything.  LilyPond does neither export nor import MusicXML.
There are some partial projects outside the LilyPond code proper, like
midi2ly in our distribution, and I believe Frescobaldi and/or Denemo
might have their own takes here.

At least "import" should be rather straightforward using some Guile/XML
libraries and Scheme programming.