Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 09:17:18 +0100

Am 05.03.2015 um 06:27 schrieb Paul Morris:
Hi David,

Glad you're interested in working on LilyPond for GSoC!

I looked into Google's rules[1] and even though LilyPond is not one of the
accepted mentoring organizations (the deadline has passed for that) the GNU
project is.[2]  Since LilyPond is part of the GNU project, a LilyPond GSoC
project could be sponsored by GNU as the organization (and that might be the
best arrangement in any case).

Also, it seems that students can propose any project, even projects that are
not listed on an organization's official "ideas list."[3]  It just needs to
be a project that both the student and the organization are interested in
pursuing.

So... the questions are: can we get you set up with a mentor and a project,
and is GNU open to considering a LilyPond project.  As I understand it, GNU
will be awarded some unspecified number of students that they get to take
on, and then they get to choose from the successful student applications
(out of the students who applied to work with GNU).

-Paul

Regargding the list of projects:

Improving Tie formatting is an issue we'd need very much. Janek WarchoĊ‚ has done quite some preparations for it, but it has been argued the project weren't appropriately shaped/sized for a GSoC project (no final decision about it yet).

Working with importing/exporting XML is also a very important thing as it relates to the way LilyPond interacts with the wider musical world. There actually _is_ development going on here, so this might be a quite natural place to integrate in existing work (-> mentoring). Development is done in the context of Frescobaldi and the python-ly package. It has become much more than simply improving the existing musicxml2ly script, and it may become an important extension if they/we manage to get a reliable transformation from LilyPond documents to and from XML documents. MusicXML is only one part of the game, though. We're talking about generic XML now and particularly an interface to MEI (http://music-encoding.org). It would be cool if he had something to mention at the Music Encoding Conference in Florence, where we'll present the current state of affairs with LilyPond to the international community of Digital Editions :-)

Please feel free to ask more.
It would be a pity to miss a chance for a GSoC project

Urs

[1]
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html